There are a variety of symptoms that asthma sufferers may be faced with, depending on the types of triggers they experience. The most common signs include wheezing, shortness of breath and chest discomfort.1 However, before the condition has been diagnosed, there are some issues to watch out for, including:
- Feeling weak or tired while working out
- Tiredness leading to bouts of irritability
- Cold-like symptoms, such as coughing, nasal congestion or a sore throat
- Difficulty sleeping at night
Some of the most recognizable signs of an asthma attack can include coughing that doesn't stop and rapid breathing. However, a few lesser known signs one might experience are:
- Blue lips or fingernails, due to lack of oxygen
- Retractions, or tightened chest and neck muscles
- Anxious or panicky feelings
- A pale and sweaty face
Patients should see a doctor or head to the emergency room if their symptoms worsen severely. When no improvement is seen after treatment with a quick-relief inhaler, asthma sufferers may require medical attention.2 Parents and family members of asthma patients should be aware of signs and symptoms so that they recognize when something is wrong.
Medex Supply sells asthma management supplies that can help treat an attack at home or on the go.