Whether you’re going out drinking this St. Patrick’s day, or keeping the party at home, here are some tips to stay safe:
- Designate a driver. One third of traffic fatalities on St Patrick’s Day are due to drunk driving, so do your part to avoid it.
- Eat as well as drink. Drinking on an empty stomach will make you impaired faster and puts you at greater risk for alcohol poisoning.
- If you are driving, be alert not just for other drivers but for drunk pedestrians.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking non-alcoholic, non-carbonated beverages will help reduce the chances of a good time tonight translating into a bad time tomorrow morning.
- Clear alcohols are less likely to lead to hangover; they have significantly lower concentrations of toxins called congeners, which may be associated with hangover symptoms.
- If you’re hosting, dump unattended cups to keep them away from wandering children or pets.
Following this advice will help you enjoy your festivities.